news from Lakehouse and the holiday break

Some of us are having Xmas for the first or second time with our little ones so I'm wondering if we should start a holiday break now. I'm also wondering if there is ever enough time off for Christmas. So I'm thinking we could resume in the new year refreshed and less preoccupied (speaking for myself here). The break would be one extra week than many independent schools' holiday. Of course if I get lots of notes back declaring terrible disappointment and dismay then we'll stick to our schedule for one more week.

The break will also give me a chance to keep scouting for a toddler yoga teacher I think we could settle in with. It is not possible for me to take all of their classes (that's how all this started in the first place), but I can try out new teachers here. So please bear with me while finding someone just right. I know some of you are big fans, so Amanda can be found teaching at Mamalu's and Karma Kids.

We did our first Telling Tales class with Rebecca and it was wonderful. It far surpassed my expectations. I wrote a SHORT paragraph on the blog and can't wait to bring Lake to the next one. He was almost slack-jawed throughout the class, but lit up and giddy for hours afterwards. Delicious!

Libby Sentz is also someone I was fortunate to run into while she was doing the Halloween Hungry Marching Band performance. Having a competitive dance background, it was immediately clear how much she enjoys movement, music and children. I can't wait to take our first class with her. Unless I hear back from enough moms in protest on this delay, we'll reschedule her class to start January 7th.

There are a few more very excellent classes in the works now....!

I still have a lease on my desk for a permanent home for all this. The owner is planning on some repairs to the building over the next couple of months, some cosmetic and other more substantial such as installing 2 more bathrooms directly across from the studio, updating the ventilation in the studio, redoing the entrance and hallways and making the building handicapped accessible (perfect for strollers). So in one way it is a good time to hold off on signing the lease.

At the risk of losing this space however, it is also a good time to first see if our classes really can cover the the expense of a home of its own. Turn-out has been fairly small even when the RSVP's look great. Your notes are so inspiring and supportive and encouraging to me that I want to keep trying to make this work. Really you are an awesome and lovely group of neighbors! If everyone who has written to me expressing encouragement and interest, RSVPed and voted on the blogs were to come then we can just make it. It's a bit of a catch 22 in that I think more people would come if our classes were where I'd originally envisioned, but need more people to come in order to create it. I also really want to keep the costs low with the emphasis on quality teachers and very selective classes that I would want to participate in with my son, and plenty of downtime/playtime for them. The more I investigate the gamut of what is available for very young people, the more I want to do this undertaking. I'm also investigating other ways to subsidize the space. If anyone has any suggestions about that I'm very open. If some moms or anyone else we know would like to hold one time events in our temporary space that's definitely something I'm interested in doing and think would be very fun for variety.

My little guy here is not getting any younger right along with yours, and I really hope we (those who agree with where, when and what I'm trying to do) can all make this happen. It wouldn't take much to make a decent sized, neat space for our use (and all the way out here in Greenpoint) a reality if enough moms made a small commitment. I would really like to see this become community place but have some specific criteria for the kinds of classes.

I'm sorry about the comments box still not working on the blog. I'm speaking to someone about it this Thurs. It would be great for everyone to see what is being said, and what some of the scheduling and class requests are looking like such as programming on the weekends. That was the goal of doing a blog format so I'll find out what the hold up is.
(I put this same letter up on there for those of us not involved with Hui.)

Hope everyone has a wonderful time this Christmas!
--
Michele + Lake (almost 3/4 of a whole year!)
***

lakehousebrooklyn@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment